The HoloLens can live-stream first person view to any other device (computers, phones, etc.) on the same network.
To allow this function, device portal must be configured.
Accessing the Stream
The video stream can be accessed:
- Via browser (Chrome offers best performance in this regard) by entering the IP address. Either:
- Connect directly by clicking on the connected headset in the Fologram application, or
- Enter the IP address of the headset, enter the device portal credentials, and click on Mixed Reality Capture (or go directly to "http://<your-ip>/Mixed%20Reality%20Capture.html")
- Via the HoloLens app for Windows 10
Via Fologram for Rhino
- Launch Fologram on the HoloLens
- Connect your headset to Fologram for Rhino
- Click on your device icon in the connected devices panel
- Login using your device portal login.
Don't know your device portal login? At the login screen, change the address in your browser to point to
Where <your-ip> is the ip address of your HoloLens device. This will display a code on your headset and you can then reset login details. Once in device portal, click on Views -> Mixed reality capture to get to the stream panel. From here you can live preview your device or record your session. Some things to remember:
Considerations for Live Streaming
- Only one application (including the live-stream) can access the camera at a time. This means that some operations (such as scanning for QR codes, using image trackers) will not be available whilst live streaming. However you can always turn live streaming back on once you have performed these actions.
- There is always some delay in the stream. This can vary from less than a second to up to 30 seconds. If you experience significant delays, you may wish to stop and start the stream.
- Live streaming will reduce the performance of the headset, as it requires some processing power.
- Live streaming uses a reasonable amount of bandwidth. If you are using it on a congested network, you may face performance issues with your stream and with applications that require a continuous network connection. If you encounter these issues, you may wish to reduce the quality of the stream.